Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Random Thoughts

Wednesday night is an exercise night. The general plan is dance class Mon night, run on Wed, Yoga Fri night (or perhaps now Saturday morning...), and hopefully if all the stars align some sort of exercise on Sat (bike ride, climbing, etc). This week has so far been a loss- I had a dinner for work in Ogden on Mon night. (That means no dancing... which also means not so happy Heather) We met with Richard Quincy the medical director for the USSA (US ski and snowboard association). 6 of us in our clinic provided support for the various teams around the world this season. Our clinic is looking to provide even more therapy and medical care for the USSA in the future. The meeting was good, dinner ok, and now I am going to rehab some skiers in Park City on one of my days off. And, I may just end up at the top of some more mountains freezing, waiting for someone to crash this next winter. I am left thinking, I should have spent some more time on the slopes so I actually know how to get down the mountain a little better. Oh well. I joked to Emily once that I must be doomed to marry a skier and I am being put on the mountain for his sake. All fine and good by me as long as he learns how to dance- Swing preferably but I'm not picky- country, ballroom, latin... some sort of partner dance. It is the easiest way to keep me happy.

So where was I? Oh yeah. So my exercise week is already thrown off and I can feel it. The problem is that I feel sluggish as a result and I don't want to get on the treadmill. (There was a slight whine to the end of that last sentence. Did you hear it?) But never fear, once I have a little more space between me and my dinner I will run. Running is not technically "enjoyable" to me. I like anything active so it isn't death to me and I do like to sprint, but not run and run and run. I wasn't built to run. 3 miles and I'm done. But I am surrounded at work by runners- marathoners and ironman triathletes. I frequently feel lazy and pathetic when I hear about their runs. But to each their own- they can't kick their head. (somehow I think running a marathon is much cooler and more functional than kicking their head- unless they are kicking someone else's head...) And that is all I have to say about that...

Final topic of the night- completely unrelated to the rest- What does a girl have to do to get a date around here? Ok so "around here" just sounds better than get a date- which is the case in general, no matter where I have lived. Not dating really is not that bad- which is a good thing because I would be very frustrated in life if that wasn't the case. I admit I date more than some... but not by much. A handful a year- more if you count blind dates, but even those have been scarce these days. I am busy and happy doing my own thing but some days I am left pondering- why am I not going out? I always have said that 90% of the dates are done by 10% of the girls. So what qualities put you into the 10% category? I still remember talking to a friend in high school- I wondered why I was never asked out. He said," Heather you are the kind of girl guys want to marry, not date." Only problem is... you have to date to get married. I'm not keen on arranged marriages (although when I am really frustrated I think that may not be such a bad idea.) So again I ask, what's a girl gotta do? And I ask that rather honestly. What is the difference? I am not intending to remain in perpetual singledom, I just don't know what to do to change the tide. I have been told I'm too intimidating- too educated, too smart, too successful, too spiritual, too... I'm sorry. I am not willing to halt my progression and be less because guys don't want an accomplished woman. What did you want me to do with all my time? And to all my accomplishments- there is a much longer list of weaknesses, inadequacies, and insecurities. Everyone displays their strengths, it is a mistake to overestimate people by what you see. So I petition any readers of this blog-- any thoughts? I draw the line at making cookies... that is the last piece of dignity I have left. I have crossed the line on most other "I will never...to get a date" statements (within my standards and values mind you).

Hoping to hear from you all soon... I'm off to run.

2 comments:

Ross said...

Interesting...I definitely have some comments, but will wait for a more private forum to share....even though this blog may be relatively private, based on the number of comments I see. :-P

SRA said...

For me, initiating the asking has been helpful. It has required me to think (keep a running list of prospects) and plan (how/when/what to ask them to do with me) and ponder and prepare...to take the initial initiative and put myself out there. I ask almost strictly by e-mail for convenience's sake, and my latest attempt successfully got me a date, which I went on last night with a guy I've known since I moved to SLC but with whom I had yet to go out. Showing the guy you are unafraid, to me, is helpful to them in getting over their fear of asking/fear of being sized up for marriage from the minute they knock on your door.