Sunday, April 6, 2008

East Meets West

I am a physical therapist. As such, I am very much schooled in the Western thought and philosophy of medicine. I attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for my graduate degree in PT. Carolina is one of the top medical schools in the country. The PT school was rated 3rd in the country at the time I attended. (I’ll be honest, after attending the PT school I may have a differing opinion, but that is a subject for later). Research, best evidence, and science was engrained into our open minds as we honestly sought how to best help people heal. In school we were informed of "alternative" health options patients may seek. The purpose behind these lectures was to inform us of the "non-research", "non-science", and "other" options patients may seek and to be non-condemning of their choices. We were informed these options generally will do no harm and if they believe that x, y, or z is helping them, why deny then of it. (Placebo’s work) I left school with "sure knowledge". Believe it or not, August marks my 5th anniversary graduating from PT school. In the short span of 5 years my "sure knowledge" has become- a good place to start. Research, best evidence, and science are integral to my practice- but as the years and patients have passed the more I have witnessed they are tools and do not explain, guide, or help everyone. People are more complex and respond in multiple ways depending on past, present, and future. I have witnessed the overlapping effects of mind, body, and spirit. Truly, you cannot do anything to one and have it not effect the others. Through my own experiences seeking medical help and attempting to help my patients negotiate through our Western medicine, I have frequently pondered that there has to be more...
I often marvel at the hand of the Lord in my life. He has and continues to lead me in paths and directions I doubt I would take if left to myself. As with any health practitioner there are good ones and bad ones. Careful choice must be made when entrusting your health to others. From working in the system, I tell you there are surgeons I wouldn’t let near me with a spoon and yet they perform surgeries everyday. Last year, through what I felt was inspiration and guidance of the Lord, I started to see an Acupuncturist. Now I joke that I have a testimony of two things- the temple and acupuncture because they are the two things that have changed my life. My health- mind, body, and spirit are in a state I hardly dared believe was possible. I have since discovered even more homeopathic avenues to health. This has not been without opposition- my own traditions of learning, family and friends counsel me against these "alternative" methods. But I have found a part of the "more" I am seeking. I am not saying that acupuncture, homeopathic or Eastern medicine are the cure alls to everything. I am saying that knowledge and wisdom is not the sole possession of Western medicine. "Science" doesn’t know everything. East and West each have something the other does not. I can only imagine the freedom and healing that could occur if east were to meet west in our quest to heal.

No comments: