Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Weekend

I apologize in advance for what I fear this blog will be. Time is pressing. I have much I want to document and not enough time to do it justice. So disclaimer- please forgive grammar, spelling, poor wit, and anything else you may find lacking more so than usual.



I love having Fridays off. This blessed schedule started in late Feb?, I really don't remember exactly when, and has been the greatest thing since I decided that working full time isn't all that it's cracked up to be. This Friday started off with an acupuncture appointment- I am doing so well that it may be my last one for a long time. At least I hope, it's not cheap. The funny part of that appointment was the night before I had a long conversation with my mother discussing how difficult a time I am having organizing my "stress" so I see clearly. She mentioned asking my acupuncturist if there was anything he could do to help. (don't have time to explain more). Well, I didn't ask... but there was one specific needle he put in that had a lot of "motion" with it. I felt a lot of energy shifting. (crazy as it sounds, if you don't believe me, try acupuncture for yourself, then talk to me) I asked him about this point- oh, that's your third eye point- it helps shift perspective and see things more clearly. What are the odds...

Nothing too exciting for the rest of the morning- chores- laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping... I was going to start my garden but I ended up talking to my aunt Marilyn (a master gardener) and she said to wait until mid May. Fine by me, I sat down and read some of Les Mis instead. (I'll finish it one day.) The exciting part of the day is coming. First I finally got my very own Costco membership. I have wanted to be a member for maybe 10 years, never talked myself into making the trip and spending the money. It was a happy day. I am finally learning to live my life. To celebrate, I bought 2 hanging flower baskets (they look sooo good on the front porch, the colors match the house. I love flowers. I especially growing flowers. I always sad that if I had to go back to school for something else I would study horticulture. If I had to go back to school and study what would be the hardest (for me) yet most valuable- English.) I bought Enchanted- I can't help but love that movie, and a big bag of almonds. Thrilling huh- aren't you glad your reading all this.



I finished my shopping in time to join Emily for a night at the Ballet. Sounds refined and sophisticated doesn't it. Emily bought season tickets and has taken Anya or I with her (she is the greatest). For all my love of dancing and the six years of ballet focused training you would think I would like the ballet more than I do. But there is a little PTSD associated with ballet for me. (I am happy to report that I wasn't much effected by it last night.) You see, for all it's grace, beauty, and refinement there is an ugly side of ballet. A side I tasted too much of- there is still a lingering aftertaste. I remember tears streaming down my face at the bar after another harsh correction, not ever feeling good enough, thin enough, or talented enough. Learning to critique yourself and others just as harshly. Battles with eating disorders that never really go away. Blistered painful feet, hardly able to walk the next day,- which resulted in painful joints to this day. Backbiting and politics. Everything superficial. Yes, I also have memories of moments of grace. I enjoy the disciple and the feeling of accomplishment coming from correctly executing a combination. But, is there any wonder why I became a modern dancer? I really need to write a blog just on that sometime. Anyway, the Balanchine piece was beautiful classic ballet- but honestly, I got a little bored- clean lines and formations is not enough for me. The men's piece- really technically difficult but I want my men to be manly when they dance. Twyla Twarp's Nine Sinatra Songs fun with a great message- I did it my way. We are all unique- be true to yourself. Finally the piece I loved- Hamlet and Ophelia pas de deux. What can I say- I'm a sucker for a tortured love story. (courtesy of life) That dance was filled with art, emotion, movement,-- everything I could ask for.



Saturday- Temple, I found out Friday night I was needed to finish off the month at my Saturday shift. I had great plans for the morning, but they will wait until next week. I was in charge of the main floor. I checked in 24 own endowments and 27 couples for sealings in less than 5 hours. Needless to say, we were busy. The highlight from yesterday was getting my bike tire fixed and a helmet then taking a ride. I am out of shape but I was happy. Growing up I loved to ride my bike. I rode almost everyday, until... the helmet law. Being the child I was I did not want to ask my parents to spend money on me. I never asked for a helmet, I just stopped riding. After nearing 12-15 years, I am finally getting back to what I loved.



Sunday- Hooray, I just might make it through I have five minutes before I have to go. This morning I had the girls I visit teach over for breakfast. They are so great, I had to take a picture to keep them in remembrance for always.




So the question that must be asked is why? Why did I write this blog? There were things in it that I felt were important for me to write about me and I want to remember specific things. Anyone who reads this may not be able to understand what or why what I wrote was important. But I know why. And in the end, that is all that matters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the "weekend"

1. I defiantly saw a LOT in your commentary.
2. I was such a duffis not to see and be more sensitive to you and your needs. Does the bike make up for the helmet? Will the pain in the 'feet' I caused be forgiven someday? Did my protecting you from the world (Calif modern) push you into a possible worse / degrading enviroment? -

And can you someday feel totaly free to ask me/us for -- or at least talk about -- what you really feel at the moment.

Truly I had/have the GREAT spirits and best of children, that could raise above and beyond the limits I , inadvertently caused.
Your brother once mentioned in passing, thoughts of suicide -

Thank you!
D

Anonymous said...

Dad- there is to be no guilt... I have no blame. These are just the consequences of growing up. there is a large piece of me that loves and cherishes my ballet experiences. For the bike episode I learn I need to step up and ask- that may actaully even happen one day.

love ya lots
heather~