Sunday, May 4, 2008

Weekend Edition

Good News!!! (she's dead...love Wicked) I remembered my camera this weekend. My blog won't be nearly so boring because there are pictures! Hooray!

Life is good when your weekend starts on Friday. I had my first temple shift on Friday am yesterday. To be honest, I miss my Saturday shift already. Not that I won't come to love the sisters I work with, but it is too slow. I need some action to keep me going at 5, 6, 7... am. The only action is from the wedding season (oh hurrah). I was soo excited to find the brides dressing room for an hour on my schedule for the month. I'm sorry, but most the time- that just isn't my favorite post. --- okay moving on. Nap, lawn mowing, REI for their sale- shoes to hike in, Patagonia yoga pants, and a locking carbineer (sp?) (amazing how much 3 things can add up to), yoga class (loving my new pants) and a trip out to daybreak (first time out there, I loved that the houses weren't "Utah houses".)

Most yoga teachers are not LDS but they usually are active seekers of light, truth and connection to the divine. I find (usually) they are very open and available to receive inspiration and it shows by the truth they speak during class. I was sitting in the beginning of Scott's class Friday night and it was as if every word he said was directly to me. Not just for me but to me. It felt like a direct connection- almost palpable, from the divine, through him, to me. There is joy in experiencing and recognizing the Lord reaching out to you. What he actually said is somewhat blurred- it was the spirit communicating with my spirit- different from words communicating with the mind. The hatha yoga was good to...

One of the highlights of the weekend was seeing my friend Jessica Stratford Hall. We have been friends since my family moved to Santa Rosa when I was one. We were in nursery, primary, and young women's together. There are not too many members in Santa Rosa but with each others help we successfully negotiated Junior High and High School. She is one of the truest friends anyone could ever have. There is greatness in her soul and I am grateful for her. Unfortunately, we do not get to see each other very often. She is a busy mother of two in California where her husband practices law. It may have been two years since we last saw each other. But she is the sort of friend where that doesn't matter- we pick up right where we left off. We talked and talked and could have kept talking but the guilt of stealing her precious night of uninterrupted sleep was too much, I left at 11:30pm. It was a great night.

J Strat and Heather Mc (pronounced meek)

Seeing Jessica reminded me of one of my best memories. It is not often you can fulfill someones dream. Jessica enabled me to have that joy and memory. Being 16 as a girl is somewhat challenging and a lot of pressure. You have been fed your whole life that there is something magical about it- sweet 16. You can date- and boys will start to line up at your door, you will become beautiful, all awkwardness ceases... Well as Jessica and I discovered together- that is a nice little fairytale and reality bites. One night we were one the phone together as her 17th birthday approached. She was lamenting that all she had wanted was one date at 16 and the chances of that happening were slim to none. I somehow had managed my one date and felt guilty that I had that and she didn't. I got off the phone and the wheels began to turn. Soon I had a plan, but I only had a few days to pull it off. I called one of my best friends Don Daley- who happened to be friends with the guy Jess had liked for months- Josh. I arranged for Jess and I to go out together the night before her 17th birthday. What she didn't know was that I was showing up with two boys for a double date- Don and I and her with Josh- her crush. Honestly, I don't even remember what we did- but that was the best thing ever.

Friday night soon rolled into Saturday morning. To celebrate my new found Sat morning freedom I was going to play racquetball with one of the gems of Salt Lake City- Pete Nash. At 8 am we hit the court. Pete plays every Friday, I play once a year... I do get better every time I play- and really -I'm not that bad, but lets just say that he does not play to his full potential with me. But we both walk away happy- he always wins and I always had fun and learned something new, and he gets a laugh out of the dancer side of me that seems to manifest itself no matter what I'm doing.


Racquetball Buddies

Saturday continues with a trip down south. Emily was so kind to pose with her favorite sunglasses. She has more self confidence than I.

We went to see "Made of Honor" courtesy of all of us having gift certificates. It was fun and although I hate to admit it- there were some great kisses in that movie. So if any of you men need some tips...


Before shopping we stopped at Anya's house where her mom was tending Odin. Anya loves that little boy- he is pretty cute.



I started to complain a little about being tired and hungry while shopping- so Anya tossed me on her back and carried me to the mall.

Finally we made it to dinner. The legendary Mama Chu's.

For 2 years we have heard about Mama Chu's in Orem- a Bybee favorite. The plan had been for the three of us to experience it together- which did happen- but it got better. Sat morning Emily and I got a text from Anya- her parents wanted to join us for dinner and her dad wanted to pay- was that alright? Ummm... no, that isn't okay. I mean really- did they even need to ask. So dinner was a family affair and I loved it all the more for it. Mom and Dad Bybee, Anya's 2 sisters, the baby, her brother-in-law and me and the girls. Good food, good company, and the best Horchata I have had in the states.


Thank you Mom and Dad Bybee!!!


The evening concluded with a drive home listening to show tunes Saturday and some sing along. Satin hands and another movie- I was planning on going to bed but I just couldn't resist - 2 Weeks Notice- a favorite Romantic comedy. All in all a most successful weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that was a pretty amazing weekend and Emily does look fantastic in her sunglasses. It was fun to see all the looks we got crossing the street with you on my back :)

BBD

Anonymous said...

So When did the great GALIC Scot Mac get meek?

V