Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Am I Alkaline Yet?

Patience, self-control, and denying appetites are apparently the lessons for the month. Anyone want to join the class? Great fun- truly...

Last month I has the pleasure of being sick for 10 days and in bed for 8 of them. My uncle (a PA) upon hearing my story said it sounded like I was one stage away from a coma. I really didn't feel that sick and am not sure how true that is... but I was- really sick. Once I was back on my feet and eating again a terrible thing happened- I couldn't eat some of my favorite things- most fruit (and a few other things). With Oranges being the worst. Ahhh!!! This was not acceptable.

So now what? Well after some investigative work a hypothesis was formed. I am caustic. Or at least- from being so pleasantly sick my pH balance became too low- creating an acidic environment- causing a number of complications. So the solution is simple- become basic. How hard can that be? Famous last words.

All I have to do is follow a simple candida diet (google it and be amazed at how much info there is on it) and take a natural supplement 2x a day. Spit in a cup to test your progress. (You don't really want to know about the spit test...) Sure no problem, I can do anything for a week... 2nd set of famous last words.

It will be 2 weeks on Friday- lifestyle change sums up this experience. I can eat only a handful of things- vegetables, oatmeal (plain and no milk), brown rice (no soy sauce), almonds, goat products, non-marinated grilled chicken and fish.
No sugar period that means no fruit, honey, etc. No vinegar, wheat products, processed food... Easier to focus on what I can eat. The real kicker- 30 days typical minimum. You know you have been off sugar when you taste the juice from kidney beans and think- wait a minute that is sweet. Only to look at the can find it was canned with sugar and not be able to eat it. I will say it has been a great weight loss program. No fat, carbs or sugar.
But as with most trials there are hidden blessings. I am creating great habits. Preparing (very healthy) meals and planning ahead. Not that I eat unhealthy- just not this healthy. When I comes to cooking, I am notoriously lazy. I have cooked more these last two weeks than perhaps all year. In the beginning, I could not create anything appetizing. All of my favorite seasoning/flavoring choices were taken from me. But the only thing I learned in my dance improv class in college has proved to be true again. Creativity flourishes with restrictions- not limitless possibilities. This week I have found great joy and excitement in new creations I never would have found otherwise. I am reminded that there really is a part of me that gets excited and enjoys cooking. (Amazing)
And just in case you were wondering-
goat cheese goes with everything...



I'll be honest 2 more weeks is daunting- I'm hoping to beat the odds and start adding more foods in sooner. But if I can eat whatever I want in the end, it will have been worth it. (We won't think about the possibility of all this work to have no change in the end.) Until then I am dreaming of a fruit salad, whole wheat toast with butter and honey, whole wheat pancakes with syrup and fruit on top, curry, taco salad, and maybe even a bite of chocolate.






1 comment:

The McKameys said...

Good Luck! I just got the flu for about 30 hours. some of the worst hours of my life, I really wanted to die. I am so sorry that you felt bad for EIGHT! But, even after that short time, I am finding nothing much tastes very appetizing and some things are downright gross; some of the things you are are eating sound about the same. So, GOOD LUCK!