Monday, May 26, 2008

Kamas Fantasmico

Lindy Shock and I met in the University 41st Ward- about 3 years ago. Although both of us have deserted the 41st ward for one reason or another, we have maintained an excellent friendship. She is one of a kind and the world is a better place because of her smile. Lindy is also one of my best patients. So far I have seen her for her neck, shoulder, and knee. She faithfully performs her HEP (home exercise program) and follows my advise. As a result- she states her quality of life is significantly improved. In return for my services, I "tag along" with her on some of her adventures, I always have a partner to climb with, and I get free photography. Both of us debate about who is getting the better deal.

This weekend we went to Kamas with about 10 other people- and we played. I haven't played like that in too long. Friday night we drove up and arrived at Chelsea's parents house (Lindy's roommate is Chelsea). The original plan was to camp out but considering it snowed that morning (blasted cold year) we opted out and her parents were kind enough to let us crash out in the grandma apt. The night started with dutch oven dinners with some of the best chicken ever and ended at 3:30am and had games(croackanol- no idea how to spell it but it is some Canadian game- very fun- especially when you win), piano and singing, ice cream from the pizza restaurant (have you ever noticed how everything is more excited and tastes better when it is after hours and you have a VIP invite?), ping pong, talking... in between. The best part- no one was drinking, smoking, or hitting on anyone. Straight up -12 Mormon single professionals hanging out and having a great time.

Saturday morning came a little early for some folks- but breakfast was fabulous. Littledike's homemade buttermilk pancakes, sausage, and eggs.


Chelsea and John on pancake duty


John added entertainment with his pancake flipping. Didn't have to get up to get your pancake- he just tossed it across the room. A few hit the floor with his spatula juggling act but it was worth the show.



The rest of us just ate- that's important work too...

Next it was off to the Lion's club for some target practice.


Out of 600 rounds fired off- I shot 3. Enough to have my picture taken and remind myself that nope- still don't like it.

Don't I look like I'm doing? One word- awkward. I just don't like having a gun in my hands. Although the same can't be said of Jim. (or any of the other boys for that matter)


Clay pigeons were the target- Annie Oakley was the name of the game.


It was cold and windy so after awhile of watching 3 of the 4 girls got into one of the trucks with a DVD player in it and started to watch Transformers. Excellent sound system in that truck...


Chelsea let John drive the "John Deere" jeep back- he did fairly well with the clutch all things considered... I was just glad to not be in it when he was changing gears.

Standing in the cold and firing guns had surprisingly enough worked up an appetite. Chelsea's parents conveniently own a pizzeria attached to their house.






4 large pizzas, bread sticks, and some root beer and once again- over eating (but when do you get fed like this?)
In case you haven't noticed- I have never had such good odds- 7 boys, 4 girls

Jim and Lindy's smiles added some extra cheese to the pizza.


After lunch we took a stroll across the street to check out the local duds. A western clothing and gear store. Found some to mock and some to covet and in the end Brock walk out with an awesome shirt.

If you think there is nothing to do in Kamas- you have never been to their rec center. $5 and you have access to hours of fun. We were there for maybe only 5 hours and had the lights turned out on us to get us out the door. The first activity was conquer the climbing wall.



Lindy and Jim
Lindy is one of the few I trust on the other side of the rope.


Lindy bouldering (look mom- no shoes)


Brock


Quincy and Lindsay





Too many pictures of my rock climbing- but I'm a little narcissistic.



I am incapable of climbing without taking some skin off.


Some serious fuse ball went on- but John and Quincy proved to be an unbeatable duo. Personally I am terrible at fuse ball and I am quite okay with that.


Walleyball was a highlight- we played several games of 5 on 5. The best part was that no one sucked and no one was fantastic. All playing about the same level and having fun. Overall the group was an excellent match. (I get kinda annoyed when girls are afraid of the ball- no worries here.) Once again I stopped traffic with my version of a dive... the splits get me to the floor faster than anything else. Or at least that is my natural reaction. Andrea tried to break me of that habit 10 years ago. Maybe one day...
Finally we made it to the pool- complete with diving boards, a full sized water slide, lazy river, kid playground and hot tub. The only thing we didn't do was play racquetball although I did hit a few balls around, work out in the gym, b-ball, slack line (which I brought), smores (which someone else brought... All for the grand total of $15. 5 for the rec center and 10 for everything else. We didn't leave Kamas until 10:30pm and we really could have stayed longer. All and all an exhausting non-stop fun weekend. Thanks to all who made is possible!!

No comments: