Sunday, May 11, 2008

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

First off I need to take care of some business- clear the air for my sake. So if you feel like I have given bad rap to ballet and/or Diego I apologize. There are many parts of ballet I really do enjoy. I even miss taking class every now and again. It just wasn't where I found my true joy of motion. Diego- really that was an unfortunate series of events and I happened to be the innocent bystander taking the fall out. Yes, he could have handled it better- but who of us can't say the same about any numerous events. OK- do we all feel better now?


Have you ever wanted something so much that at times you can't think straight? It burns itself a painful ache and you wish you had never come in contact with the awareness of its existence. I swear I will never lead a horse by dangling a carrot in front of it because I have decided it is cruel and unusual punishment. But without fail no matter how many times I decide to stop chasing the carrot- the draw is too strong and I end up loping after it like a fool. I am sure we all have our carrots in life. I suppose the most important question we need to ask ourselves is whether the carrot is drawing us toward or away from where we want to be. There are many carrots in life- (not all have the painful ache)- desires for good or for ill that makes our view myopic. Sometimes what seems to be a good desire is deceiving. Without a bit of perspective, we end up chasing after things only to realize we are wasting away the days of our probation. Sometimes we juggle so many things- trying to fit them all in- we have no ability to add what we need. My problem is that I am not sure whether this particular carrot is leading me toward or away from where I need to be.


This weekend started off with a slight downside. Unfortunately- guilt trips are rather effective on me. I somehow decided to pack my bags and take a short jaunt down the "you are irresponsible and lazy because you only work 4 days a week" lane. Followed by "think of all the money you could save and can put to your student loan if you were making money instead of spending money on your day off." I haven't exactly resolved the conflict between the voices in my head. There are very good reasons why I chose to work less-- but I wonder if their time is coming to an end. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I am happy to report that my hour in the bride's special dressing room was much better this week than it was last week- despite another temple worker bringing to my attention that I have yet to use the room myself.

In the end I ended up working everyday but Sunday with a handful of "pro bono" work. Rune Thursday night- although I did make him wait- I had to get a run in before. Nate Friday afternoon- but he is always thoughtful enough to bring lunch or dinner. He's probably the one who appreciates the most my working unpaid in my off hours. Anya Saturday morning before her volleyball tournament (which she won). Sometimes I feel people just expect it from me- maybe if they understood that my clinic can bill more than $200 for an hour of my work... Not that I get paid that much- by any stretch of the imagination. I want to help, don't get me wrong. But sometimes...


Then there was the usual weekend chores- mowing the lawn, REI, Costco with the girls- oh, excellent story- we found Santa there!! Coincidence? You be the judge. But it sure made Anya's day. He was supposed to come to the Tim Tam Slam Sat night but we were a little heartbroken when he failed to make an appearance. But credit is given because he texted his apologies Sunday morning. (Santa is just the latest of our nicknames- I am happy to report that this one was named by me. And no, he doesn't know about it.) --- add in yoga, grocery shopping, bike ride (after another trip to Contender to get my front tire fixed), laundry, cleaning the house... But it gets better...


Emily decided to host an official Tim Tam Slam- and I must say- she puts on a pretty good party. There was the stress/ fear of few people coming- but she had more than the critical mass needed. A Tim Tam is an Australian chocolate cookie. The slam is to bite off the ends and use as a straw to suck up hot Milo and eat it before it falls apart. The video demonstrates Emily performing a perfect Tim Tam Slam. (a Perfect 10) She has flawless technique. (Look Mom no hands!)



We agreed to call the Slam a tie between John Madsen (a favorite person of mine) and Emily- a grand total of 18 each.



John Madsen- strategically placed right in front of the case of Tim Tams.



I did 2.


Just in case you didn't have a good view with the first picture, here is a close up for the vision impaired.



I missed my photo op of Anya's slam- but she did make good use of her time.

Isn't she cute!!


Emily with all her buddies from the mission. (Emily has yet to blog- so she counts on us to do if for her.)

The party ended with me sitting on the kitchen counter talking to Pete Nash (John Madsen for a time as well- good luck with your D and D game). Truly, I respect Pete more than he knows. He is one of the first friends I made when I moved to Salt Lake and he is a true blue friend. The evening ended with clean up and the satisfaction of an enjoyable evening.
Sunday!! I love my family. I have yet to figure out how I am so blessed to be in the family I am. Whenever my extended family gets together I am amazed. The quality of people, the joy of being together, love, support, intelligence, talent, and testimony is intoxicating. Today was Cameron's Farewell. He leaves for the MTC Wed. The depth and quality of his testimony is beyond impressive. It was better than most missionaries homecomings. The spirit was so strong. And he is good looking too! I sometimes joke- no wonder I'm not married-- I am related to all the quality men in this world.
Cameron McOmber- the man of the hour

It had to be hard because the only person of his immediate family that was their was his sister Nikki. Everyone else is in Armenia (and Canada). It was so fun to have him living around the block from me this last year while he was attending LDS Business College. I am going to miss him.




Isn't my Grandma cute!
My Brothers and Anginette. I didn't get good pictures of everyone that was there but there were quite a few. Aunts, Uncles and cousins.
What can I say- I love my niece!
The Heathers
Finally I get a picture of Jacob my handsome nephew. There is nothing like going to see him for my self- esteem. As soon as he sees me he stops, squeals out my name, and comes running to give me a hug -as if I was the greatest thing ever.
Jody Lynn- who is getting to be sooo big. I can't believe she is going to be 7 in June.
Andrea blowing out the 3 candles on the cake for her 30th birthday- which is today. This is the 12th birthday I have wished her happy. Crazy it was that long ago we were freshmen roommates together. I got up early this morning to bake that cake for her. It doesn't look so pretty because I didn't find my Bundt pan (funny that I don't use it everyday), but it tasted good. I was surprised at all the unsolicited compliments I received from it. My grandma, 2 aunts, brothers, cousins, and roommate all commented on it. It was worth the effort. Besides it is kinda fun to beat the egg whites stiff and fold them into the batter every once in a while.
Finally the Utt's. Mom and Dad Utt have opened their doors and kitchen to us on numerous Sundays for a family dinner. Today was no different- except Stephanie had the pleasure of joining us. I am so grateful for their generosity.
Well that about does it. There is always more I could document but I am tired and have stayed up too late writing this post. This does not bode well for work tomorrow. Besides isn't this too long already? Ta Ta for now~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loved the pictures,

and the events,

vm