Wednesday, October 22, 2008

MOAB!

So obviously my goal to finish Costa Rica on Sunday did not happen. The Internet was down all night. I was frustrated, but I suppose God knows best. I had some other matters of business more important but less exciting I turned to instead. When it will all be done is any ones guess. My guitar improvement is slow to say the least. I am ready to be flying through the cords- and it just doesn't happen like that. Especially the F bar cord. Any players out there willing to share how long it took them to switch around with ease? Am I just not nimble fingered and slow?

I have to report that my Moab adventure was basically, perfect. Just what I wanted for my birthday and maybe even more. Excellent company, perfect weather (except Friday night was a little chilly), excellent hike- up a canyon fissure to the top of the world and then two amazing rappels down, smores, tin foil apples, scenery... Needless to say it was a great weekend. Want to see pictures?

The view from camp in sepia.


Camp- two nights of milky way and moon rises.

Breakfast!


Starting our hike- Steve decided to see how far up he could get... Then he came back and joined us on the "trail".

Maisey is the trusty companion always up for a hike. Because the sand in Moab rubs her pads raw they invested in the cutest hiking shoes ever. She was more like a mountain goat than a dog on our hike.

Our "trail" and our first view of hidden splendor arch.





Our lunch destination- on top of that peak. Going up it was no problem, coming down, that was a little more treacherous.



On top of the world for lunch. The view was amazing!


Steve and Rachel soaking it all up.


Hidden Splendor Arch

A very cool tree- and I do believe I have mentioned before how much of a fan of trees I am.
Next was navigating the channel of water... except there wasn't any water in October. So instead of wading/swimming we had to fit through and spider crawl the narrow channel.

We were surrounded by amazing formations. I was in constant awe of all that was around me. The power of the elements is amazing.
After spending so much time hiking up - we needed to come down. Maisey was not to be left behind.


Waiting for Steve to set up our last rappel I took opportunity for a photo op with the dog. See my lovely harness? Thanks again to Nate Walsh- without him I wonder if I would have ever bought my harness and it has come in so handy...
Crazy cactus everywhere.
This rappel was a little tricky to get into and I think my heart palpitated a few extra beats until I felt myself supported by the ropes and I wasn't going to swing into the wall. The best part was the view and the free rappel when the wall stopped and the descent continued.
Candid shot of the two enjoying the sunset in Arches National Park. After our hike and a smoothie in town we took off to see some sites. And what sites! I finally made it to Arches. My license plate is official!
The world is an amazing a beautiful place. I am in awe. I am also in awe of our bodies and all that it can do and the joy that is found in using it to explore. I could have continued hiking, exploring and enjoying Southern Utah days on end. Probably as long as the warm weather held. I am grateful to friends and family and the joy of their company. Rachel and Steve were amazing- I hardly did anything. All I did was mention what I wanted to do and they made it happen. Once again a big Thank You to those who help me LIVE.

No comments: