Sunday, June 6, 2010

Only a Storm Could Be That Beautiful

I just spent the best part of 2 hours outside admiring the most beautiful heavenly event. Walking and staring entranced by the depth, intensity, contrast, light, color, smells, and feel of the storm that raced through at sunset, amazingly clearing up to piercing stars as the last glimpse of light faded beyond the horizon. The storm became so dark that black gives no proper justice to describe the enveloping presence that absorbed everything in its path. The entire spectrum of grey filled the sunset backdrop. Shapes of impending doom to fanciful artistry were expressed by the clouds. I was awed by the visible speed with which these clouds fled across the sky. There were trees silhouetted against the bright rays of sunset. The intricacies of the details of the mountains were made bare by the evening light which you only noticed if you could take your eyes away from the brightest double rainbows framing the fresh, lush, green mountains. Soon a heavy summer rain which was renewing without the bite of winter began to fall in thick heavy drops while silent lightening laid fleeting desperate patterns throughout the sky. At one point in the walk the capital looked framed in an artist's canvas with the black storm being challenged by the bright lights it shines at night to stand as a beacon on the hill. The flags were perfectly horizontal as the wind propped them in place. The western edge of the capital was gradated from black to blue to tinged yellow with the trailing of clouds that couldn't keep pace with the others silhouetted against the final hopes of day as the last light trickled into dark. And to cap it off one star (well, Venus) broke through the clouds with a confidence and presence demanding attention.


I couldn't believe I didn't have my camera. There were a hundred thousand pictures that cried to taken but I was helpless to heed their pleas- although my heart ached for it. I did have my phone on me for the first part of it and managed to capture the double rainbow. The second half of the storm it was Emily and I out wandering up to the capital to see clearly the glories. I was struck by the sadness of how many people missed the most incredible sights I have experienced in a long time. It was the best show on earth tonight- yet so few experienced it. It fed my soul more than anything could have. And to top it off this morning was the most glorious morning light over the mountains I have ever seen. I remember how stunned I was by the morning. I can't believe it was only the appetizer/the opening act before the main event of this evenings grandeur. Grateful, grateful, grateful for this most glorious Sunday gift God granted me today.

I think there are many profound lessons to be found within the storm. Emily commented on the poetry of it-so true. But the lesson I need tonight-my take home message... is to remember that storms bring a beauty and depth nothing else can. And not all storms need to be hidden from- some are better walking through and looking at the majesty they bring.

1 comment:

SRA said...

My take-away from the storm last night? It stinks when you're 2/3 of the way through showering and the lightning starts and you have to jump out and wait half an hour before things calm down and you can finish. Glad you put a better spin on it. :P