Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Weekend of a Single--- Again

Because Monday was Memorial Day the clinic was closed. Great and all except I don't get paid because I am not full time. So I elected to come in for 5 hours on Friday afternoon after my temple shift to make-up partially for the day. So my weekend started a little later than usual. But once again- a full and exciting weekend.

It started with Suzanne and Anne's annual summer kick off BBQ. Every year they have an open invite BBQ BYOB and movie on the side of the garage. I love it because it is not only a standard event for me but for a lot of friends I don't see much. I realized how many people I've come to know and love in Salt Lake.



BBQ in action- more pics on facebook...

I have yet to stay for the movie at dark- projected against the white garage. Maybe if I had someone to cuddle with... Instead I walked home and went to the grocery store. There is nothing wrong with grocery shopping at 10pm on a Friday night, I promise. If I wanted to get everything in on Saturday I had to...

Saturday was a success. Any Sat that starts out as productive as this one can only be described as a success. By 12:30pm I had showered, washed my car, oil changed, rock chip repaired, cleaned the chapel, cooked my roommates breakfast, and had done my ironing.


Whole wheat pancakes with strawberries and whip cream...




At 1pm Chuck Snow picked me up to join a group rock climbing. It could have been better... getting lost, only climbing once, and waiting unsuccessfully to climb again. 4 hours for one climb but...





The group was fun, good climbers, cute boys, and they climb/hike every week and go country dancing every week. Excellent connections...


Fortunately, I did make it home to stay true to my promise to have a Costco outing with the girls. We met the Costco 100 with only 7 items.

Finally, a night up the canyon with good friends, guitar and singing, tin foil dinners and smores. When I am in the canyons I find myself breathing easier and I feel like a weight is eased. It is the only place I feel at home in Utah. Trees, water, and fresh air-





Mill Creek Canyon was so therapeutic I decided to try City Creek on Sunday. Sunday's are the best and worst of days for me. Lately they have been particularly stressful and difficult. So to combat the drama within, I started from home and went for a walk-- up hill for a long time. I didn't quite reach the end of City Creek when I decided I needed to get back home. I'll have to ride it to the end on my bike sometime. It wasn't as good as Mill Creek but it did the trick and after 2 hours of walking I was much calmer and ready to face what was ahead. Before I knew it another weekend had flown by.

Sometimes I wonder why I pack so much into my weekends. It seems like I hardly have a chance to breathe between everything. I could certainly choose to do nothing- nothing is forcing me to pack it all in. Part of it is I have this drive to be doing something- to make something of my life. As if I have something to prove to myself or the "world". But that isn't the whole of it. There is so much I want to do/ need to do. I am not willing to stand aside. I am grateful for it all.

No comments: