Monday, June 9, 2008

Guess Who?

One of my dear dancing friends is Liz Dibble. We danced together at BYU and amazingly enough, meet up last year here in Salt Lake after we had scattered to various parts of the country. Last October we danced together in a show for the opening of SugarSpace. Then in January I had a voice mail from a David Dibble- her husband. (who I only briefly met after our performance.) He is an artist and was working on a project for an art gallery and was hoping I would be willing to model for it. I think my jaw dropped at that moment. Someone wanted to paint me? I have always held a secret wish to be painted- but thought it most unlikely. And... he was willing to pay me for my time. I felt like manna had just dropped from heaven. His project is a series of paintings representing the 4 seasons. Each season has a head shot and a full body painting. How did he know that spring is my favorite season? I almost giggled when I heard I would represent spring.
I never realized how uncomfortable I am in front of a camera until I spent almost 2 hours with one more or less in my face. Perhaps the fact that it was someone I didn't know staring me down with a critical eye... But then, I came to actually have fun when he shot the full body poses. I know that was because I wasn't looking at the camera and it was more like I was dancing.
On Saturday on Antelope Island I was talking to Dallas Graham and he asked if I would participate in his daily documentary project. He is a professional photographer and his latest project is to interview, write, and photograph someone everyday for a year and then posts it on his blog. It reminded me of an earlier photo shot I had this year... Curious, I got online today to see if there was anything on David's website...



Can you believe it? It's me- painted!

I can't wait to see what the full posed picture looks like. I wonder what he chose after so many costumes and poses. I must say it was a little difficult to think warm spring thoughts that night because it was about 10 degrees outside in the midst of a winter storm. But I am more than pleased with how this one turned out. I am still smiling about it.

1 comment:

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Ya! I remember when you went to do this last winter. It's beautiful! Your eyes are smiling and you look peaceful. I love you!!!