Sunday, June 22, 2008

Antelope Island: AKA Photo Shoot

In honor of Erika's birthday a whole crew went off to frolic at Antelope Island. (3 weeks ago?) Ever since I house sat for my friends in Layton- off Antelope Island Exit- I have wanted to go. But like so many places and things in my life... I had never gotten around to it. I have been to Utah almost every year of my entire life and had never touched the Great Salt Lake. I thought that was unacceptable- right along with my having never been to the Southern Utah parks. This was my chance! But... I was in conflict. The girls had planned a movie party for that night- a showing of North and South (a great movie based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskel). I felt it was important to support them. After some gentle prodding however, I was convinced that in my heart I really wanted to be out in nature with friends checking a destination off my list. So instead of riding my bike home from the Stake BBQ to help with the party, I rode my bike home to be picked up by Quinn to join in on the adventure. I must say I do not regret the choice. It was a great time- aside from the bugs and seagull carcasses. Amongst the crowd there ended up being quite a few cameras- some of them fancier than others... Some of the best pictures came out of that night. Below is only a handful of those taken.






3 girls in Warrior II







We started by playing in the water... I managed a few amazing skips after a little coaching.


Then we moved on to a hike to make it to the ridge just in time for sunset.










Nate Cannon rocked the house with these two pictures. There are many more amazing pictures where these came from on his blog or facebook.







The sunset was spectacular. I was amazed at how the colors continued to contrastly deepen and brighten all at the same time.







Dallas Graham took the picture of me below that is truly one of the first pictures I think reflects me. I suppose that is why he is a professional photographer.




The night ended with a campfire.. I love campfires. Quinn expressed her undying devotion to hot dogs during the ride up -especially emphatic about hot dogs roasted over a campfire. I don't consider myself a hot dog fan but her enthusiasm convinced me to put it to the test. I must say, I cannot remember eating such a fine hot dog before.
As the guitar was being pulled out the Ranger showed up. It was decidedly dark by this time meaning we were supposed to have vacated the Island by then. Nate stepped up to the plate and went out to meet the Ranger before she got to us. I was dutifully impressed how Nate managed (with the help of his curls and dazzling smile I am sure) to win over the Ranger. Her tone started as "don't mess you are breaking the rules" and within a matter of minutes he had her laughing and agreeing to give us another half hour. Alas, my ride was leaving before I could enjoy that half hour. I admit it was hard to pull myself away from the guitar. I love it when men sing and play the guitar well. It is a known fact that most girls discover someone to be attractive whom they never thought as cute before if/when these skills are demonstrated. Heaven help us when they are attractive before the guitar comes out...

All in all a most pleasant night (especially after I showered, the lake is most fragrant). I saw an antelope and rabbits but sadly missed the bison that charged at Ashley's car. Now I just need to take a trip to southern Utah.

1 comment:

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Ooh! You can read about the Bison right here! : http://asholina.blogspot.com/2008/06/antelope-island.html

:) You are great!