Friday, June 6, 2008

Quiet Hero

I have been treating a soldier from Iraq on and off for over 8 months. His vehicle was hit by an IED- killing the driver and breaking almost every bone in both of his feet, tibias and fibulas, and burning over 40% of his body. He is still active military duty and is has been stationed in Texas while receiving his medical care. Home for him is Ogden and I saw his mother 2 years ago for her back. So while on leave from Texas he came to see me until he was permanently transferred to Utah. June 12th is his year anniversary from the blast which changed his life forever. He has had so many consecutive surgeries requiring him to be non-weight bearing on his legs that he has hardly walked in a year. The list of complications from not walking for that long is lengthy- and I question to myself -how functional will he become?

He is a quiet hero in so many ways. An old fashioned hero. One that never calls attention to itself but is worthy of emulation. I have never once heard him complain- period. Not about the war, his condition, the pain I put him through, any exercise I give him or anything. And of all people it would be more than understandable and even justifiable for him to complain. I have had more than one patient of mine state that after watching him they will never complain about therapy again. He diligently and positively performs his therapy 3 days a week.

This week I witnessed a miracle. Among many things, he has been walking on the treadmill using a harness attached to an air compressor to unweight him while he ambulated. But on Thursday- no harness just treadmill. I still can't believe the long, confident, even strides I witnessed. Even without upper extremity support (holding on) his gait was better than I hoped for. Can you imagine my joy? Then, to watch him walk in the gym without holding on to anything and without fear of falling... He may never know how much of a miracle it really is. But after over 5 years of PT I know I witnessed a miracle.

He still has a long way to go- but I am grateful that I have the privilege of being his physical therapist. I hope I can always keep close his example of faith, hope, patience, and enduring well unto the end.

No comments: