Sunday, December 28, 2008

Accomplished! Finished! Done!

I did it!! I finally finished Les Miserables. I made my goal of finishing before the new year. It took a year for me to read. But when you add into equation 1460 pages, my life, and Victor Hugo waxing eloquent on Waterloo, etc... A year isn't so bad. I had started it the summer previously, but certain life events came between me and the book. So, sometime in January of this year I resolved to finally read the full unabridged version of Les Miserables.

It is a great story! I didn't cry for Eponine or Gavroche- but Jean Valjean... if I wasn't in public I think the few tears that did escape my eyes may have been more of a downpour. Victor Hugo has amazing insights and thoughts. A lot to ponder. But... I would like to meet someone who thought every page was necessary. There were whole chapters at a time that were arduous and not necessary to the story. Not important. What is important is that I finished and am a better person because of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hip hip hooray! It is quite the accomplishment. Now I definitely need to read it again so we can discuss.