Sunday, September 28, 2008

San Jose- The Capital

So many people said to stay away from San Jose- there is nothing to do or see there. But Amy and I both found the city "alive". There was a contagious energy similar to a lot of my favorite big cities. Perhaps because we really didn't spend much time there and didn't explore out of the safest area may have somewhat to do with our positive experience in San Jose.





When our bus arrived in San Jose, Amy and I didn't have a night's lodging planned so... we joined in the taxi with Jonathan and Eugene and stayed at the hotel they were at. Good call on our part! It was a beautiful hotel called the Don Carlos- I wish I had taken a picture of the front. But I did get a picture of the courtyard and a beautiful orchid. Costa Rica is famous for its orchids- and for good reason.









Personally, I was feeling the effects of the bus ride- more than usual. We went out to get something to eat. I was just going to call it good with my power bar but Amy more or less insisted I eat some of her calazone. I'm sorry, but with McDonald's and Papa Johns as my options I was not excited about eating. Although the fresh air and pulse of the city was refreshing -but I was ready to lay down and not move. It didn't help that I was starting to have a sore throat and knew I was most likely getting a cold. I went back and crawled into bed while Amy and Eugene were galavanting around the hotel.


By the morning my color had returned to my face but I was sure I had a cold and would be dealing with it for awhile. After breakfast we took off to see the city by daylight- separate from the boys- (much to Eugene's disappointment). Here's a peak at what we saw.
A glimpse of the park


Corner Fruit Stand






The old lady I almost ran over twice within 20 minutes. Was she following us? I would be looking off somewhere and then- there she was. Literally inches away from taking her out- twice!


Is there any city in the world without pigeons and those who feed them?



Love interesting characters. I wonder what the old man in a suit's story is...
Speaking of characters...



And then it was time to check out of the hotel and catch our buses to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica...


(Must add that there was a goodbye present for Amy at our hotel door when we came back to the room. I must say, I was impressed...)

No comments: