Sunday, September 14, 2008

And the Dream Fades...

In less than a week the reality that was Costa Rica- Pura Vida has begun to fade into a dream. And like a good dream I find myself consciously trying to hold on to the memory as the details begin to blur with time. The logistics of life crowd out and push aside the previous reality. Work, bills, laundry, cleaning, family, and friends naturally reoccupy the space I live here in the US like liquid conforming to the area of its container. For at least another week I still have my tan to remind me of my adventures, but that too, will fade all too quickly. Then I am left with my beautiful mango wood bowl, a cheap bracelet, pictures, and perhaps few new friends. Was it worth it? Every minute of it! To understand people, this world/earth, cultures, the gospel, and myself better- to take a break and step out of my life and view all from a different perspective- to have greater love, respect and compassion... and enjoy Living! I find it amazing all that can be acheived through travel- stepping out of your comfort zone- what you know as "life". I mentioned before that I figured this trip was going to be a growing experience. Was I right? Yes- but not in the ways I, well... feared. It was a fantastic trip- once again only fueling my desire to do and see more... Funny enough- part of my desire for the trip was to be able to step back from my life so that I could see how to change it. I have been itching for change- where I live(ie the state I live in), where I work, what I do for work... open to anything. Pondering and praying I have come to the conclusion I am to stay where I'm at. Not what I was looking for- and I'm not yet ready to admit that is the final say on the whole thing. Well, Amy, who had an earful of my "I need to change..." comes home and now is in the process of a new job to up and move in the next two weeks. Ironic...

I hope my break was enough. My first day back to work was tough. I hated it. I was ready to give it all up. I have a long list of misgivings about work and at the very top is not feeling good enough. There is so much I don't know... Hence the $500 continuing education conference I'm dishing out for this coming weekend. I would rather not eat to be able to gain some new skills and knoweldge. Fortunately, my second day of work was better... I realized, maybe I do know a thing or too, after being frustrated with what my substitute did or did not do for/with my patients. And I was gone long enough for my wrist to heal. That is my second concern- if I already have work injuries... I can't treat patients this much for long... Okay- enough on that subject. All I know is that for now- stay put. (and hopefully that will change soon). I feel like I am rambling. So to put an end to it all -a memory from my trip in the form of a picture. My favorite part of our trip- Arenal. So this is a picture of my first view of the volcano. And yes, that is smoke coming out the top.


No comments: