Sunday, July 13, 2008

Assumptions and Journeys

Don Miguel Ruiz wrote a book entitled The Four Agreements. In this book, he discusses four agreements we should make with ourselves to reduce our personal suffering. The wisdom in his counsel is beautiful in it’s truth and simplicity and I have found myself pondering it since I read it 5 years ago. Unfortunately, my mind is more commonly drawn upon it when I am suffering because I failed to follow the counsel of the agreements. The agreement to "never make assumptions" seems to be the one I am most commonly offending. I am in awe of how often I make assumptions. It is all very fine and well to agree to this cause and altogether another to do it.

My latest assumption (resulting in suffering) revolves around a journey and its destination. There are a multiplicity of possible journeys. I believe the physical journey to be, perhaps, the most common but least significant. The journeys of the heart, mind, and soul are what make life elevating. We find at the end of the path that these journeys changed our character, desire, achievement, understanding, love, and/or any numerous other qualities (if we let it).

Several months ago, I embarked on a journey- assuming-- I knew what journey I was on and its intended destination. But as I am learning once again- sometimes the journey is the destination. The purpose being the lessons learned, habits changed, character forged, compassion achieved and wisdom treasured. I now find myself at no "destination" although I believe (and hope) this journey to be through. I pause in reflection and wonder at the inspiration I received that led me to set sail toward my intended/assumed destination. I wonder if the purpose of the inspiration was solely to motivate me to lift anchor and set sail. God knowing, that for only so great a cause, I would embark and thus gain treasures I could not achieve in any other way. God knows my needs and what motivation I require to attend to those needs. There was suffering along the way, but mostly caused by the times I foolishly tried to steer the ship toward the destination I assumed to be mine, instead of trusting God at the helm, even when the ship did not move where I planned. Although I am grateful for the journey- I admit, I am ready to not be seasick any more. :)

3 comments:

tachatha said...

Clicking Here Dolabuy Prada click this site Dolabuy Chrome-Hearts this post https://www.dolabuy.ru/

Unknown said...

i was reading this replica ysl directory Gucci Dolabuy find more replica designer bags

Anonymous said...

why not find out more dolabuy visit our website Dior Dolabuy official site Bottega Veneta Dolabuy