Friday, March 5, 2010

Joy in the Odd Choice

Yesterday I pruned "my" roses. They aren't exactly my roses because I rent- but they have been mine for the 5 years I have lived here. The weather took a sharp turn from fair to wet as I was getting ready to go out- so I put on my Spyder coat, put the hood up, and went out anyway. I realized that some people might look at me and consider it odd that I was pruning roses in rain and hail. I also realized I didn't care. It needed to be done and a part of me found joy in pruning at an "odd" time. My coat kept me dry so what did it matter? Instead of worring and waiting for the weather to turn around, I decided to not let the weather tell me how I was going to live my life. It was empowering. I am all to guilty of living my life how I "should"- Once in awhile it is enlightening, inspiring, and liberating to veer from the beaten path and find the freedom in living your own life. The joy in the odd choice. Guidelines are good- but not mandatory. There are a million different ways to live your life. Just because it isn't the same as others live, it doesn't make it wrong.

No comments: