Saturday, March 29, 2008

Daffodils and Hope

I know that in my profile I say I don't play favorites. But, if I learned anything in school- (especially chemistry) it is that there is always an exception to the rule. Spring is my favorite season.
My brother is a natural heater. He can heat a room by just sitting in it. In order for there to be balance in the universe, I was born the opposite. I am perpetually cold. One of my nicknames is naris fria (cold nose). Winter is usually difficult for me. (I am so thankful I was born in the age of heaters.) As a result, spring is a highly anticipated event- Spring means greater joy. More light, warmer days, green grass, and flowers. Walks outside, hikes in the canyons, and my sunroof open. I find myself smiling for no greater reason than feeling the warmth of the the sun on my face and looking at the clear blue sky.
Daffodils are heralds of spring and for me, a symbol of faith and hope. Every year I get nervous when I start to see my daffodils push through the ground. "Wait! It's too early". It is still January when I notice them and the world is in the clutches of winter with no relief in sight. But they know better than I. Spring is coming and in order to herald spring they have to start early with little sign of hope- only faith. As a result, they are blooming at the first signs of spring. I may fret over late snow storms and perpetual cold days but, when I see daffodils, I know that winter is ending.
I find a lot of wisdom in nature. Since my daffodils have bloomed this year, they have caused me to ponder and I have a lot to learn from them. God gives guidance and direction in life- I have heard His "voice" frequently in my life but, I do not always have the "faith of a daffodil". I want to wait until "spring" has surely arrived and not press through the "frozen ground in the midst of winter", even when God has given assurances that "spring is coming". But it is this very act that separates the daffodils and enables them to fulfill the measure of their creation.

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance(assurance) of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
2 Nephi 31:20 "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ having a perfect brightness of hope..."

I am grateful for daffodils and spring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather,
Loved your "daffodils" comments, especially knowing how hard the winter has been for you. You are an inspiration of how hope is the warming that begins the movement to joy.

The McKameys said...

Heather, love that you're now on the blog and that I get to read your deep thoughts. I have always loved your writing (I remember you trying to help me write in our dorm room, think I could still use your help). Yeah for spring and sisters and babies. Love you to pieces. Kate