Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Things Change Jo"

Last week I went with Ashely Stolworthy to see Little Women the Opera. A good friend of ours John Walker was playing one of the male leads. Through out the night a reoccurring theme was sung "things change Jo"- Jo was constantly trying to hold onto things as they were, unable or unwilling to accept the change that kept coming to her- which only caused her and others pain. Since then this has kept coming into my mind as I have felt the world swirl around me. Change is everywhere- my new job and friends moving away seems to be the majority of the swirl but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the tip of the iceberg. Sometimes I wish I could rewind to make better use of the time I had knowing what I know now, or that I can pin things down to keep them near. But, I know, all that is impossible. Thinking about Jo and how her stubbornness to keep things as is only caused misery instead of embracing the changes making possible new joy and growth, I am making a conscientious effort to look forward with optimism to the new possiblities and doors that can be opened by the twister that has barrelled through. It will be interesting to see where everything has landed when the wind finally dies down.
Overall life is good. I still feel like I am in a transition stage- that will probably last a little while longer while I am getting used to the new schedule and "finish" saying good-bye to those leaving.
I had dinner with some girlfriends not long ago and surprise surprise - dating came up. One of the girls talked about how she decided to take a more proactive role in the dating scene. Make it more objective and work at it like trying to find a job. A) use networking- ask others if they know anyone and work to make the contact, B) Be willing to go on a lot of bad dates to get a good one C) Go to parties/events and make an effort to talk to people you don't know. She is a lobbyist by profession can you see it? I am not sure I am at the point to attack it in quite the same manner -but nevertheless, her thoughts are peculating in my mind and even changed my behavior a time or two. Personally I conceded in the dating game and swallowed some pride and took the plunge into the online world. I joined LDS singles and LDS link-up online. So far... yuck- not my thing. I'm not a big computer fan to begin with and combine dating or the attempts thereon-- uggg!! I'm thinking this is not a viable way for me to meet men. I know it works for a lot of people- but I'm thinking it's a no go for me.
Life is interesting- and that pretty says it all.

2 comments:

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

And, remember our other favorite quote? "The problem with solitaire is that it requires a king." Well. I think we should create a game that doesn't require a king. One that the King is just an added bonus at the END, rather than before you play the Aces high. :) LOVE YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I love your blog, and I love being friends with YOU.

John